I remamber when I was about 10, really wanting a "Jumpsuit", you know, an a one piece trouser and top thingy. I don't know where I got the idea, maybe my friends had them, or maybe I saw them in the shops, but anyway, my mother bought me one for a school trip. We weren't very well off, but the school trip was always an excuse for a new outfit, a bit like Christmas or Easter.
The jumpsuit I got was turquoise, and I remember we stopped at a nearby castle enroute to the main attraction we were going to on the trip, and I slipped and got a huge grass-stain on my jumpsuit! I remember being pretty annoyed about this....funny the things you remember!
So a little while ago, Maeve started asking me for a "Playsuit"... where this idea came from, I have no idea, but sometmes a mother just has to go with these notions! I had been hoping for an excuse to buy some of Figgy's new patterns....(I have been trying not to buy any patterns or fabric while we are working on the farmhouse), so I bought the Banyan and the Zephyr...but since they only go up to 8-9yrs, and Maeve is a slightly shapely, tall 9, almost 10 year old, I had to alter the pattern.
I added an inch to the centre front and back bodice pieces. I added an inch to the bottom of the bodice, and an inch to the bottom of the shorts.
Maeve had reservations about the opening at the front, so we agreed to make the straps opening instead, so she could pull it up and on. I used the pattern piece for shorts tie bands to make the straps. I made them knit and woven, like the ties.
When it came to making the waistband, I sewed the top and bottom together as per the instructions, but I made a circle of elastic, the size I needed, and I zig-zagged it to the seam allowance, and then turned it over, and zig-zagged it down to the bodice...(you now how I love to zig-zag!) I could see myself having problems making the channel...my knit kept creeping ahead of me, and puckering when I sewed it. It didn't happen with the woven to stabilize it, but the waistband is knit to knit..
The other change I made, was a real after thought! When I got to the band at the bottom, I attached them the wrong way, and ended up with the contrast on the outside, but I liked it, so I left it! But when It came to tying the ties, they didn't seem to sit well on her...so I pinned them down, and then got the idea to leave them like that. I decided to put buttons on too....well why not! I love them like this. As it happened, Maeve spent the whole time fiddling with the hem, so they surely would have untied a lot!
She wore it on a trip to the zoo the other day, and she looked so pretty and comfortable in it!